Behind the high, historically listed wall of the Goethe House’s garden is another premises that first became the property of the Freies Deutsches Hochstift only in the 1950s. Today, the enchanted little garden is the new museum’s Romantic garden. In the form of a hortus conclusus, here elements of a mountain landscape, a cottage garden, and a park merge into a special place that invites visitors to linger amidst blue-flowering blossoms. The marble image in the pergola represents Faust and Gretchen as an amorous couple in the garden scene. The finely crafted group by the Milan artist Antonio Tantardini was made in 1869 by the artist himself as a copy of a first version of 1864 and was already intended as a garden sculpture at the time.